What is the K-2 Visa Process?


What is the K-2 Visa process?


The K-2 Visa process allows the unmarried children (under 21 years old) of K-1 Visa holders (fiancés of U.S. citizens) to enter the United States. Here’s a detailed overview of the K-2 Visa process:

  1. Filing Form I-129F: The U.S. citizen petitioner must file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), and include the names of the children who require K-2 Visas.
  2. Approval and Forwarding: Upon approval of the petition, the USCIS forwards it to the National Visa Center (NVC), which then sends it to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where the K-1 Visa applicant will apply.
  3. Visa Application: Each child must complete Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. This form is necessary for the visa interview.
  4. Medical Examination: The children must undergo a medical examination by an approved physician. This is a mandatory step in the visa process.
  5. Visa Interview: The children must attend a visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. They need to demonstrate eligibility and provide supporting documents, such as birth certificates and proof of relationship to the K-1 Visa holder.
  6. Visa Issuance: If the visa officer approves the application, the K-2 Visa is issued, allowing the children to enter the United States. They must enter the U.S. within six months of visa issuance.
  7. Travel to the U.S.: The children can travel to the U.S. with or after the K-1 Visa holder (their parent).
  8. Adjustment of Status: After entering the U.S., the children must apply for adjustment of status (Form I-485) to become lawful permanent residents (green card holders).

For a comprehensive guide on the K-2 Visa process and expert tips on navigating each step, check out this informative article. Ensure your family’s smooth transition to life in the United States.