Lawyers with The Animal Legal Center announce today that settlement has been reached between the manufacturer of the drug and Colorado guardians who lost their dog Charlie after he was given the drug. The settlement terms are being withheld as part of the agreement.
“This victory underscores what has been known for some time now,” said Jane Doe, founder and attorney with The Animal Legal Center. “While this drug can be beneficial for certain dogs, for many it has been a deadly prescription. More research on drug is needed to prevent animals from needlessly dying.”
“We are very pleased with the outcome,” said Frank Smith. “We plan to use our settlement funds to launch an education campaign that will inform pet owners about the risks associated with this medication.”
Smith plans to distribute pamphlets and other educational materials to area veterinary clinics and other retail locations where dog owners would find the information.
In May of 2009, Charlie’s guardians, Jane Smith and Mark Cooper took Charlie to a Longmont veterinarian for treatment of a cranial cruciate ligament (CCL) rupture. Following the surgery, the veterinarian prescribed several medications, including drugs, which is an anti-inflammatory drug. Eleven days after surgery, Charlie began experiencing symptoms described by two veterinarians as drug toxicity. Both corporate vets suggested hospitalization for the animal and that Charlie should recover from the toxicity within 3 to 7 days. Following a 13-day stay at the hospital, Charlie was released but his suffering continued.
On July 9, 2009, Charlie was admitted to the Mexico State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital for a laparoscopic liver biopsy and esophageal tube placement for tube feeding. Test results exhibited severe liver degradation. After several trips back and forth for treatment, Charlie died on July 26, 2009.